What is the rear taste of building a kit?
Still early summer huh?
Here in Japan we're about to enter the rainy season but, in spite of that, days with over 30℃ keep going on. Dear SWS fans, how are you doing?
What? An anomalous hot weather is hitting your place too!
I guess this is it. Nature seems to be really messed up in these days.
Dear folks, heat is going to get serious from now, so please take care of yourself.
For you guys in the southern hemisphere, now you're in the middle of fall, right? Beautiful red leaves and cold weather coming over. Keep enjoying your hobby paying attention not to catch a cold.
Seeing is believing. Public disclosure of a particular working technique!
May 23rd (Sat) came.
Thank you for coming so many to our "SWS Regular Meeting" held at the Event hall on 7th floor of VOLKS Hobby Paradise, in Akihabara, Tokyo.
Thank you so much from all the staff of Zoukei-mura and Hobby Paradise.
On that day, aside from my story, Mr. Alexander Glass, head of Uschi van der Rosten Company came to the event all the way from Germany, and demonstrated how to use its fantastic Wood Grain Decal. Everyone was busy ohhing and ahhing over his techniques. Thank you very much Mr. Alex!
By using this item, you can extend your range of expression when working on not only the exterior panels of the SWS Horten, but also on the floor of the P-51 cockpit, all the WWI aircrafts, AFVs, wooden sailing ships, floors of trains, and so on.
For the modelers who have had difficulty with painting, this can be the best solution ever seen before. From now on, you can get an extraordinary effect and enjoy this atmosphere by applying it on even a small area.
Also, by seeing his demonstration just in front of me, I can say that the technique needed to apply the decal is surprisingly simple.
Everyone can easily recreate that great wood grain. Let's give it a try!
- SWOP 1/32 Ho 229 Wood Grain Decal Set
- Included Items: A5 sheet×6 (8 textures) / Price: 3,500 JPY (+ fee)
- *Click here to buy it via our website store → [ VOLKS Website Store ]
Mr. Alexander Glass, head of Uschi van der Rosten Company came to SWS Regular Meeting all the way from Germany!
Everyone looked fascinated and satisfied with Alex's demonstration during the Regular Meeting.
By just using this item, plastic turns into wooden material in a moment. It is a great finish for a great molde kit! It makes you happy!!
Mr. Alex shows his technique!
We were also impressed by his airbrush techniques! "That's a pro". He continued working with clear explanations of process. I wish I could hear his explanations in Japanese! However, it's noteworthy that Chris and Carmine did good translation work. Carmine will go to IPMS Ohio, please look forward to meeting him!
Finally, it's time for Uschi's Decal demonstration!
"You see!? With this decal, you can easily get an extraordinary effect!" Yes, you are one of lucky, selected modelers who could learn techniques directly from Mr. Alex! Give it a try with confidence!
On the same day, a demonstration of how to apply metal sheets was held by our Zoukei-mura Master Finisher: Mr. Naoki Kobayashi!!
Before we knew what was happening, a simple bare metal sheet was turning into a scale model that looked as if it were made of real metal.
By only looking at the finished work, and even if we have listened to all the explanations about applying metal sheets, we can only think that doing this work is extraordinary difficult.
That is aircraft model finished with bare metal sheets.
However, "seeing is believing!" When we saw in front of our eyes Mr. Kobayashi's techniques, which seem to be such a high wall for a beginner, with detailed explanation he gave us, we could easily understand the processes! We were really lucky to have the opportunity to learn his techniques!
It's like a magic! Look at the techniques of well-known "Mr. Naoki Kobayashi"!
That's how plastic turns into metal in a blink of an eye, right in front of you! Now that you've seen this technique by yourself, metalwork will no longer be something intimidating for you. Aircrafts, AFVs, railways, plastic models or robots, and even figures, they're all going to turn into metal! Awesome!!
Oh! Incredibly, we have Mr. Kobayashi, commenting the work of Mr. Alex!
Art has no borders as you see! These two guys are the proof. And they're hopefully become friends thanks to this event. I'm really envious!
Gentlemen. That's it.
Fine work! When it comes to the essence of metalwork, no can compare to this man!
This technique, unique in the world, just gets the admiration.
One day I want to see a DVD series on this. Lots of people were saying this during the demonstration.
Let me also say something about my speech.
The attendants of the SWS Regular Meeting were all hardcore-fans, I could look at them in a straight line from my position!
Average age as well as the degree of their enthusiasm seemed pretty high.
Even a veteran like me, got nervous and my voice was trembling.
However, just as we started I was surprised when I asked how old the attendants were!!
I was not the eldest one despite my 68 years!!
Ooooh!! Ok, if this is the case
I'm not scared anymore!
No matter the age, I can just treat everyone as my little brothers or my children.
I was overwhelmed with the cuteness and loveliness I was surrounded by!
To be honest, I'd be happier if a little sister or daughter was here, but this is a luxury we don't usually get in these occasions.
(By the way, why there is so few girls into modeling in Japan! That's sad!)
As always, there are some troubles, doubt or particular conditions interfering with SWS development, or at least its original plans.
Since I had a very serious face, maybe everyone thought I had some high purpose with my speech.
No no, the old man from Zoukei-mura doesn't really have any special purpose.
"One day I want to build a full injection airplane model with my hands".
I just kept following that dream and that's how I came so far.
But at the same time, I seriously wanted to create something shining brightly, something that could remain in the history of modeling for good. That is what I am thinking about.
To all of you who purchased and build an SWS kit:
All I want to hear from you is "it's like building a real aircraft"; and once you're done with assembly, I want you to enjoy that structure and mechanism and understand how and why it all started.
So I would like that you qualify the SWS like this: "prior, current and rear tastes of the kit are all good!"
What if SWS were not part of this world
If we didn't have SWS kits in this world, would have we continued enjoying scale modeling as we use to?
- * Wings, fuselage, etc. How it can fly up in the sky. I want to reproduce that machine and its structure.
- * Even though it can't move, I want to know all about that mechanism.
- * I want to reproduce and learn about the devices and systems that control the flight, not just something that may resemble a cockpit. And also about the engine, I want to know about its installation, the undercarriage, everything.
- * This is what happens when you have a mission or a purpose to follow. I want to reproduce that beautiful figure precisely, as much as I can, and I want to enjoy it until I can.
- * Thanks to the reproducing force of the SWS, I want to recreate those weapons, I mean airplanes, recognition planes, night fighters, strategic bombers and also planes for training and the pilots, which bravely fought against the enemy in the sky and returned home.
- * It may look complicated, difficult at a glance, but you don't really need any special skill or tool to assemble it. Another good thing of the SWS kits is the instruction manual.
There are both my dreams and your wishes in the SWS kits!
And, an old man like me, or a guy like you who can't attempt any complicated work without wearing glasses, can both enjoy the assembly of an airplane model smoothly. That's the kind of kit that I want to keep creating.
As always my "terror questionnaire" is very popular!
And in such a friendly atmosphere for all the people who came to the demonstration!! As you can see, to every question I may ask there were people from the audience raising their hands at the same time as if they were hypnotized! I'm really happy. Thank you all, for being the source of my motivation.
I'll keep striving to make your dream come true!!
Hey!! "The rumored mock-up of the double engine-jet fighter" is finally here!
Developer T is indeed explaining carefully for a reason. This is the first time we show this mock-up! If you come to IPMS Ohio, at Zoukei-mura booth, you'll have much more time to see it. Dear fans coming to the event, you're going to be surprised. Look forward to it!!
I think I have transmitted you the real charm of this hobby, called scale modeling.
Even in case I'd be the oldest one in here! I still have plans for this world for the next 20 years. I want to revolutionize the scale model world. That dream of mine is also your dream.
What is the rear taste of a kit?
After the "prior" and "current taste", here is the "rear taste" of enjoying the building of a kit.
We're finally got to the last stage of a kit assembly, the "rear taste".
In my case, once I have finished building and painting, I apply the decals and the antenna, and wait during the drying. Then, I usually try to adjust something and refine painting to get a feeling of completeness.
Furthermore, I also want to reproduce the rust, the defects emerged because of the usage of the machine.
Then I clean the dirty table scattered with leftovers and full of useless runners or masking tape.
I put the tools and materials that I messed with in the tool box.
And the work is done!
Then finally move the finished model in another place. The moment you secure it in the right place is the real start of the "rear taste".
My secret, safe place. It's the "Gun Room".
There, upon the long table, I put my "finished airplanes".
At the same time, I drown myself in silence, listening to my favorite music from the 60's.
Sit down in my comfortable chair, I can finally relax.
Now, if I take a look at the instruction manual, I already feel some nostalgia for the fun I had during the work.
Doing this in that way could have been better.
I should try to do this way next time, etc.
These are some regrets that come across my mind again.
The glue that leaked out, that little imperfection due to the scratch, I could handle it. Even though I put the putty on it still looks good. The angulation of the landing gear is well fixed too. The horizontal tail and the radar seem lively. That is wonderful.
But most of all, once I open the engine covers, the engine body seems alive; that's the trademark of the SWS kit!
Give some chalk, and after a long cranking, the engine moves haughtily and the propeller starts running maybe. (I reproduced the roaring sound with my nose).
This instant is the real "rear taste".
This is how my time goes by, and there is no such a substitute for a modeler.
Midnight comes, I turn off the light and it's time to sleep.
But the "rear taste" is still inside me, even in my bed.
Turning myself on the bed I still can see the canopy and the engine cowl, as the "face" of the airplane slowly fades out.
A happy day has gone
The next day, on the table where I eat my breakfast, of course there is the shape of the finished kit in front of me.
My wife smiles at me saying "you did a good job!"
If I have time I would start talking about my efforts on this plane. This draws all my passion and I could really stay here and continue talking for one or two hours, dear colleagues!!
When I don't have time, my explanations concerning the manufacturer, the aircraft, its use or war records get shorter.
When I'm in my car on the way to my company, the "rear taste" is still here.
I can't get angry, even though I'm stuck in the traffic with other cars.
During my job, my heart keeps beating fast. I have the same feeling during lunch, and still after.
Wow! This is the beauty of the rear taste, it's really addictive!
What about some weeks later?
It's finally time to choose the next kit.
You are right. The "prior taste" of the next kit is about to begin again.
Scale models, oh no, SWS kits are such a wonderful hobby!
Scale models: Banzai!
This is the SWS 1/32 Horten born in the hands of the well-known Mr. Naoki Kobayashi!!
"Skeleton and internal structure" reproduced too! Admire the essence of SWS!
If this kit had not been created, the mechanisms of the real Ho 229 would have probably remained a mystery for eternity. I'm still glad to the Smithsonian Museum for their great support to our research!!
This is how the Horten cover, made up by the same Mr. Naoki Kobayashi looks with the wood grain decals from Uschi Company.
Mr. Alex was also like "I can't say anything but, wow!"
It's the actual proof that we have fine "modelers in Japan". The real thing is really wonderful. Why don't you try to stick Uschi decals to your Horten?
Obviously, the mock-up of our next SWS 1/32 Do 335 couldn't be missing!
This is what we can do with SWS! Dear Do 335 fans all over the world, you can keep your expectations high as we're proceeding steadily to complete this model!! Look forward to it!!
Where's the picture of the mock-up of this fundamental "double-seat aircraft"?
We're going to show it at the IPMS Ohio, Zoukei-mura booth, right after the show opens.
Please be patient for a while.
A storm of the great admiration was unleashed at this first Regular Meeting hold in Akihabara, Tokyo.
"Wow, that's just Zoukei-mura!"
"They went so far!!"
"But it's surprisingly easy to assemble!"
In the end, just like I did, you had goose bumps all over your body while you were watching this really interesting mock-up model, didn't you?
Such a power even in 1/48 scale!! Fantastic!
Yes. Such precisely reproduced form would leave you a feeling in your heart, like you're moved to tears, wouldn't it?
For you who were so lucky to be at the Regular Meeting, this mock-up will leave some traces in your heart for some time.
For all of you who'll attend IPMS Ohio, please look forward to seeing the double-seated jet, for the first time showed in America!
IPMS USA National Convention in Columbus, Ohio 2015
（VOLKS USA Facebook）
- This is going to be the exposition line-up of Zoukei-mura booth at IPMS Ohio.
Please prepare for your shopping!
"Pre-orderable kits to be picked up at IPMS Ohio, Zoukei-mura booth"
|Item Name||Event Price
|SWS01 1/32 J7W1 SHINDEN
|SWS02 1/32 Ta 152 H-1
|SWS03 1/32 A-1H SKYRAIDER U.S.NAVY
|SWS04 1/32 P-51D Mustang
|SWS05 1/32 J2M3 RAIDEN
|SWS06 1/32 He 219 A-0 Uhu
|SWS07 1/32 A-1J SKYRAIDER U.S.AIR FORCE
|SWS08 1/32 Ho 229 HORTEN
|SWS09 1/32 MustangIV P-51D/K
|SWS11 1/32 Ta 152 H-0
|SWS48-01 1/48 J7W1 SHINDEN
|SWS48-02 1/48 Ta 152 H-1
|SWS 1/32 Sd.Kfz.2 Kettenkrad
Pre-orders are accepted. If you're interested please write to the following mail address. No longer accepting pre-orders!
- *We accept the following credit cards at the event for payment.
- *We'll try to satisfy your requests as possible, but please understand that we may run out of stocks.
Thank you for being so many to pre-order SWS kits!
We are looking forward to meeting you in Columbus and deliver your items at our booth.
- *Please pay for your pre-orders at Zoukei-mura booth at the IPMS Ohio.
- *The items pre-ordered must be collected no later than July 24th 2015 1pm (local time).
- *For the items that won't be picked up within the due time, pre-order will be cancelled.
So please look forward to the SWS kits that will bring unlimited amusement and happiness to your collection.
We'll meet again on the pages of the Old Man Blog.
See ya then!!
Representative of Zoukei-mura, Inc.
↓ Please don't hesitate to use the submission form below ↓
- Archives -
- No.001 Ta152 episode 01 Passion for the Product Launch Process
- No.002 Ta152 episode 02 Using plastic, that magicalmaterial,I wont to create a real airplane!
- No.003 Ta152 episode 03 This Ta 152 H-1 is Amazing!!
- No.004 Ta152 episode 04 Also,The Engine Known As Jumo 213E Is Amazing!!
- No.005 Ta152 episode 05 Forgive Me, Brothers-in-Arms! At This Point, Just Let Me Announce It~!!!
- No.006 Ta152 episode 06 Ta 152 Means Wings!!
- No.007 Ta152 episode 07 Scale Model Reproduction Must Start with Your Gut Feeling! Is What I've Really Come to Believe.
- No.008 Ta152 episode 08 Finally, it's just before the release of the Ta 152!! At last it goes to you!!
- No.009 Ta152 episode 09 The time that Ta 152 fans worldwide have been waiting and waiting for has finally arrived.
- No.010 Ta152 episode 10 Is Your Ta 152 Being Brought Up Happily!!??
- No.011 SKYRAIDER episode 01 The SWS SKYRAIDER will fly over the sky of Nurnberg!
- No.012 SKYRAIDER episode 02 SKYRAIDER Test Model 1 Debut, Part 2!!
- No.013 SKYRAIDER episode 03 Japan and the Japanese will recover, once again!!
- No.014 SKYRAIDER episode 04 The 'R3350 Engine' and the 'Cockpit' are complete!!
- No.015 SKYRAIDER episode 05 Package design has reached its final stage!!
- No.016 SKYRAIDER episode 06 Took a Trip!! To IPMS "Omaha By The Sea"!!! Part 1
- No.017 SKYRAIDER episode 07 Took a Trip!! To IPMS "Omaha By The Sea"!!! Part 2
- No.018 SKYRAIDER episode 08 Took a Trip!! To IPMS "Omaha By The Sea"!!! Part 3
- No.019 SKYRAIDER episode 09 Thank You for Waiting!! Your SKYRAIDER is Finally Coming Home!!
- No.020 SKYRAIDER episode 10 Is Your SKYRAIDER Already Home?!
- No.021 Extra episode 01 Event Report from IPMS in Telford, UK #1
- No.022 Extra episode 02 Event Report from IPMS in Telford, UK #2
- No.023 Extra episode 03 Event Report from IPMS in Telford, UK #3
- No.024 Extra episode 04 Event Report from IPMS in Telford, UK #4
- No.025 MUSTANG episode 01 I Want to Make the Most Beautiful Mustang through the SWS!!
- No.026 MUSTANG episode 02 Delivering the SWS Mustang to All of You Around the World!!
- No.027 MUSTANG episode 03 SWS Mustang! Long-Awaited Pre-Order Period Finally Started!!
- No.028 MUSTANG episode 04 The Pre-Order Deadline for the P-51D Mustang is Coming Soon!
- No.029 MUSTANG episode 05 Finally, the SWS Mustang will Take Flight!!!
- No.030 MUSTANG episode 06 Delivering Your Hopes along with My Dreams
- No.031 MUSTANG episode 07 Event Report from IPMS Florida 2012, Part1
- No.032 MUSTANG episode 08 Event Report from IPMS Florida 2012, Part2
- No.033 MUSTANG episode 09 Event Report from IPMS Florida 2012, Final Part
- No.034 MUSTANG episode 10 The Opening Day of IPMS Telford is Finally Getting Closer!!
- No.035 Extra episodeII 01 IPMS Telford 2012 Event Report: Part1
- No.036 Extra episodeII 02 IPMS Telford 2012 Event Report: Part2
- No.037 Extra episodeII 03 IPMS Telford 2012 Event Report: Part3
- No.038 Uhu episode 01 For all of our SWS fans and Uhu fans, I have an apology and an announcement!
- No.039 Uhu episode 02 We went this year, as well!! The Nürnberg Toy Fair in Germany!!
- No.040 Uhu episode 03 Cockpit Assembly
- No.041 Uhu episode 04 The final production prototype for SWS No. 6 Uhu is done
- No.042 Uhu episode 05 Finally, the long-awaited SWS kit, "He 219 Uhu," has started shipping, in order by reservation!
- No.043 RIDEN episode 01 The so long-awaited Japanese aircraft episode is starting
- No.044 Extra episodeIII 01 IPMS Colorado 2013 Event Report 1
- No.045 Extra episodeIII 02 IPMS Colorado 2013 Event Report 2
- No.046 Extra episodeIII 03 IPMS Colorado 2013 Event Report 3
- No.047 Extra episodeIV IPMS Telford 2013 Event Report
- No.048 Extra episodeV Welcome to JOINT FESTIVAL of our company that will celebrate the 40th Anniversary of Volks Inc!!
- No.049 HORTEN episode 01 The first test shot of SWS Ho 229 is finally getting here!!
- No.050 HORTEN episode 02 Want to see more of HORTEN!!
- No.051 HORTEN episode 03 Development status for SWS HORTEN Kit Part1
- No.052 HORTEN episode 04 Development status for SWS HORTEN Kit Part2
- No.053 HORTEN episode 05 Zoukei-Mura finally headed to IPMS Virginia!
- No.054 Extra episodeVI IPMS Virginia 2014 Event Report: Episode 1
- No.055 Extra episodeVI IPMS Virginia 2014 Event Report: Episode 2
- No.056 Extra episodeVI IPMS Virginia 2014 Event Report: Episode 3
- No.057 Extra episodeVI IPMS Virginia 2014 Event Report: Episode 4
- No.058 HORTEN episode 06 SWS Horten finally spreads its wing and flies in to the big sky!
- No.059 Extra episodeVII IPMS Telford 2014 Event Report: Episode 1
- No.060 HORTEN episode 07 Urgent Notice for all of you who purchased our SWS 1/32 Horten kit!
- No.061 HORTEN episode 08 The indispensable tools of the Old Man!
- No.062 HORTEN episode 09 Presentation of the finished SWS Horten kit!!
- No.063 HORTEN episode 10 Presentation of the finished SWS Horten kit!! 2nd Part!!
- No.064 Extra episodeVIII Thank you for the pictures of your finished SWS kits!
- No.065 Spring time! Hobby season has come!!
- No.066 One of the plastic model kits' tastes (the current taste)
- No.067 What is the rear taste of building a kit?
- No.068 Come, SWS brothers!
- No.069 Extra episodeIX We went to the IPMS Nationals in Ohio!!!
- No.070 Here we go!! IPMS Telford 2015 is about to start!!!
- No.071 Extra episodeX The Old Man's meddling!!
- No.072 Extra episodeXI IPMS Telford 2015 Event Report: Episode 1
- No.073 Extra episodeXI IPMS Telford 2015 Event Report: Episode 2
- No.074 Extra episodeXI IPMS Telford 2015 Event Report: Episode 3
- No.075 The soul of a reciprocating engine is finally here!!
- No.076 So, let's build the Do 335!!
- No.077 So, let's build the Do 335!! Episode No.2: "how to build the DB 603 engine".
- No.078 So, let's build the Do 335!! Episode No.3: "the cockpit is awesome too".
- No.079 So, let's build the Do 335!! Episode No.4: "this time I introduce you the work on the main wings!!"
- No.080 So, let's build the Do 335!! Episode No.5: "this time let me introduce you the work on the main wings!!"
- No.081 So, let's build the Do 335!! Last Episode.
- No.082 SWS Do 335 Thank you for all the reservations we received from all over the world!!
- No.083 Hey! Just like I said!! With the SWS kit, you can understand this far the Do 335's secrets!
- No.084 We went to the IPMS Columbia!!
- No.085 The Giant of the Jet-fighters F-4: the Answer from Zoukei-mura - Part 1
- No.086 The Giant of the Jet-fighters F-4: the Answer from Zoukei-mura - Part 2
- No.087 The Giant of the Jet-fighters F-4: the Answer from Zoukei-mura - Part 3
- No.088 The Giant of the Jet-fighters F-4: the Answer from Zoukei-mura - Part 4
- No.089 SWS F-4J finally ready for its pre-release at the IPMS Telford!!
- No.090 Thanks for the instant sell-out!
- No.091 Greetings for the end of 2016
- No.092 Happy New Year 2017!