Event Report from IPMS in Telford, UK #1
I have been to IPMS Scale Model World in Telford, where I had been dreaming of!
Hello, all SWS fans! I have been there! The IPMS Scale Model World in Telford, UK was as great as I imagined!
Are you asking me what was so great?
Take a look at these pictures, first!
"Waaaaaait!! What on earth is going oooooooooon!!"
What?! The massive crowd of people in front of the Zoukei-Mura SWS booth was actually a line which had been waiting to pick up their pre-ordered kits, or to purchase them!! Can it be true that a scale model kit causes such a long line?! Unbelievable!!
We felt odd before we even entered the hall that Zoukei-Mura's booth was assigned to... "W-what is that crowd??" Then, we went closer...
"Oh, no~~~~~~?!" The crowd was so dense that we couldn't even get into the booth. It was a line of people who were trying to purchase SWS kits.
We entered our booth to begin preparation for sales, greeting cheerfully and expressing gratitude to the customers who had been in line from early morning.
This is the pile of SWS kits which have "RESERVED" notes on them for pre-order customers, including the Skyraider, which was the highlight of this event!
Other visitors, who were unaware, gathered around the booth wondering, "What? What's going on here??"
We were sorry for our neighboring booths! The line was endless...The pre-ordered kits were already set aside.
Everything is finally ready. Pick-up for pre-order customers began with checking their names! The expressions of everyone who got their kit into their hands turned into a relaxed smile!
Endless?! As soon as the line became shorter, more customers joined the end of the line! Our commander-in-chief was watching it nervously.
Father and son came to pick up their Skyraider and weapons set together! It's wonderful that family bonds are deepened through this hobby isn't it?
How generous! Thank you for purchasing not only the Skyraider, but also the extra parts such as the MD3, Metal Struts, Weighted Tires, Weapons Set, etc!
This customer purchased a Ta152, its Concept Note and the extra parts all together! How very discerning of you! The German airplane was also popular here in the UK!
This customer purchased the Ta152 and Shinden together! He bought the Shinden Flight Set as well. "This figure is wonderful!" He looked quite happy!
Who could have guessed that this would happen??!!
But we did not yet know that, so we were happy-go-lucky until we got to our booth. Then, we found people who were taking up positions in front of our booth and chatting, while pointing out the stacked SWS kits on our table.
Yes. We piled up the pre-ordered kits and attached the customer's names on them as preparation on the previous night.
So, it means that customers who had pre-ordered kits through my blog, or through the IPMS executive committee, had already started to line up from early in the morning and were waiting for us!!
Oh my god!! From this moment, all five of us from Zoukei-Mura were deployed into the middle of a fierce Sales Battle at Telford. We even didn't have time to settle our personal belongings in the booth.
Now I can think over the meaning of this line. It was evidence that a lot of the modelers who gathered in Telford were already aware that SWS had been trying to recreate actual airplanes as scale models, using plastic, and it was a challenge to this unknown field, don't you think?
Exactly as expected from IPMS UK! Exactly as expected from all of modelers in Telford!
But, this was the very first time for all five of us to attend this event! We were careful to estimate enough time ahead of the opening and left the hotel quite early, but we were too optimistic! We were completely caught in a heavy traffic jam heading to the venue. The streets around the venue already had traffic jams from early morning. We didn't know that since it was our first time, poor us!
We managed to pass through the traffic and got to the parking lot gates in the last minutes before opening!
We all rushed along into the event venue, finally sliding into our booth after a great struggle.
Several hours flew by in a moment after the opening at 10:00AM. Our Zoukei-Mura booth remained in a scramble. Modelers kept visiting us one after another without stopping.
I assume that the visitors were already in the several thousands. The huge event site was filled with enormous energy! The modelers' enthusiastic attention and excited hearts were all reflected in their smiles and behavior. There was even a line to take pictures.
Before we could relish the joy of the opening of the IPMS Telford event, the storms of questions, requests and suggestions started to hit us from everywhere!
"I didn't even know that you took pre-orders!"
"When can I know if there is a cancellation!?"
"Why didn't you guys bring more!?"
Some were like:
"If I have it sent to me, customs fees double the price!"
Some continued protests like:
"Why don't you get retailers more quickly?"
It really is a constructive opinion.
"Can you autograph the box for me?"
"Will you sell the engine separately?"
"Can I get only the figures?"
"When will the P-51 be available?"
"How about the Raiden (Mitsubishi J2M)?"
"Then, what will next to that!?"
Time passed and continuing to answer was all that we could do.
I have too many happy things that I want to report here! I will tell you them in order.
Please enjoy the atmosphere of the first day on today's blog post!
The heavy traffic started all the way from the "roundabout" (rotary) in front of the event site! We couldn't imagine that this would happen...Can we get there in time?!
The parking lot in front of the main entrance was already full! It seems that the UK event is always held at the same event site, so the experienced people get to the site earlier.
Our inexperienced group finally parked and rushed into the hall. We were thinking, "We hope that we will have a lot of visitors!" at this point, but...
We were still thinking, "Wow. It seems like a lot of people are coming to this event~!" at this point as well. So we were really surprised when we found the massive crowd in front of our booth!
What will I show you in my next blog post!? Please look forward to it!!
Several hours passed and the line had settled down. But still, many customers kept visiting the Zoukei-Mura booth one after the other!
There were still some customers who hadn't shown up for pick-up. Pick-up was until the end of that day, so don't wait too long!
This is the IPMS contest area. It was filled with a lot of astonishing projects and the people who came to see and enjoy them!
It's already a full house! Usually, this two-day event seems to gather several thousand scale model fans! How envious we are of this environment!
Manufacturers and business partners both visited the development team between customers! We hope to build even more wonderful collaborations!
A lot of IPMS members and other model kit clubs from the UK and neighboring countries were exhibiting! They all were really skillful!
With all of our hearts, we are progressing with the SWS #6!!
Finally, we will begin the "what's the next airplane?" quiz for SWS #6 with this blog post!
Thank you. With all of your support, we were able to release the third kit, the "A-1H Skyraider," from Zoukei-Mura's SWS. It started with the Shinden and was followed by the Ta152, A-1H and P-51D. Work is now going smoothly for #6 as well as the Raiden. I hope that the highest summit of plastic model kits, recreated fully with SWS methods, will keep bringing immense impact to your airplane model collections.
SWS #6 will add another new high point!!
We would like to share the joy of the development stage, and the best part of SWS, with all of you. So, we planned this quiz, as usual, to guess next airplane. Get the correct answer this time and win a wonderful prize!!
We will look forward to receiving your entries!
Here we go!!!
SWS#6 "What is the next airplane?" Quiz
The Guardian God of the Jet-Black Night Sky
"○○ in the middle of the night. ○○○○○ ○e○○○ ○─○─"
Now, fill out the katakana, kanji and alphabetic letters in the ○ spaces to guess perfectly which airplane SWS #6 is. We will give away brand-new SWS #6 kit sets as a prize to three people out of those who get the correct answer.
- How to Submit Your Answer
- *In addition to regular mail submissions, like last time, this time you can submit your answer by an exclusive e-mail address, to allow for submissions from as many fans as possible.
- [How to Submit by Regular Mail]
Please send Kansei-Hagaki (Japan Post's pre-paid postcard) to the VOLKS Headquarters, making sure to include your name and address as well.
Attn. VOLKS, Inc SWS #6 "What is the next airplane?" Quiz Team
60 Goshonouchi Nakamachi Shichi-jo, Shimogyo-ku, Kyoto 600-8862
- [How to Submit by E-mail]
Please send an email to the address below, making sure include your name and address as well.
Title: Submission to SWS #6 "What is the next airplane?" Quiz
*This email address is exclusively for this quiz.
- Until the end of January 2012
- Winner Announcement
- Winners will be announced here on the Zoukei-Mura Web Site.
- Prize Presentation
- As their prize, the winners will receive kits before anyone else.
We are looking forward to receiving a lot of entries from you.
I know that people who read this blog in English have no way to know the Japanese in this quiz. I'm sorry about that. I beg for your understanding because a Japanese manufacturer, Zoukei-Mura, is holding this quiz. Maybe you can find some Japanese friends whom you can solve the quiz with. Please give it a try.
Submissions from overseas are accepted here at [email@example.com].
Other guidelines are as same as domestic entries.
Well then, my next blog post will again be about "Event Report from IPMS in Telford, UK" Please look forward the next post as well!
The Old Man of Zoukei-mura
If you have any opinions, questions, or requests regarding the SWS, please don't hesitate to let us know.
Archives: The Old Man Blog
- The Old Man Blog No.120The instruction manual for the SWS 1/32 "Bf 109 G-14/U14" is completed!! Part 5
- The Old Man Blog No.119The instruction manual for the SWS 1/32 "Bf 109 G-14/U14" is completed!! Part 4
- The Old Man Blog No.118The instruction manual for the SWS 1/32 "Bf 109 G-14/U14" is completed!! Part 3
- The Old Man Blog No.117The instruction manual for the SWS 1/32 "Bf 109 G-14/U14" is completed!! Part 2
- The Old Man Blog No.116The instruction manual (Japanese version) for the SWS 1/32 "Bf 109 G-14/U14" is completed!! Part 1
- The Old Man Blog No.115Thank you very much for the pre-orders from all over the world!!!
- The Old Man Blog No.114With Engines Roaring!!
- The Old Man Blog No.113Celebrating the 10th Anniversary of SWS!! Thank you for supporting our 35 releases!!
- The Old Man Blog No.112I Hope You’re Doing Well, My SWS Brothers!!!
- The Old Man Blog No.111Your Pre-Ordered Limited-Edition F-4EJ Kai "Phantom Forever 2020" Kit is Coming to You Soon!!
- The Old Man Blog No.110SWS F-4EJ Kai "Phantom Forever 2020" is SOLD OUT via Pre-Order!!! Thank you for all of your pre-orders!!
- The Old Man Blog No.1091/48 F-4EJ Kai Celebrating 10 Years of SWS Thank you all for your early pre-orders!!
- The Old Man Blog No.10810th Anniversary of SWS Kits: The First Commemorative Kit Revealed!!
- The Old Man Blog No.107What's up, SWS fans?!?
- The Old Man Blog No.106We Went to SMC in Telford!!
- The Old Man Blog No.105Let’s Meet at SMW in Telford!!
- The Old Man Blog No.104We’re back from IPMS Nationals in Chattanooga!!!
- The Old Man Blog No.103A Big Hello to All of My SWS Brothers!!
- The Old Man Blog No.102Welcome to the Zoukei-Mura Booth at IPMS Telford! Thank you for purchasing the 1/32 Toryu!!
- The Old Man Blog No.101We went to IPMS Phoenix!! Plus an Exciting Quiz: Guess the Next SWS Airplane!!
- The Old Man Blog No.100Have you got F-4J Marines?
- The Old Man Blog No.099The long-awaited F-4 D, finally available from February 17th (Sat)!!
- The Old Man Blog No.098SWS Brothers from UK & Europe!! Thank you very much!!
- The Old Man Blog No.097The autumn show of hobby world is about to begin!!
- The Old Man Blog No.096We've been here!! Wings Over the Rockies Air & Space Museum!!!
- The Old Man Blog No.095 We went to IPMS Nationals in Omaha!! (Part 2)
- The Old Man Blog No.094 We went to IPMS Nationals in Omaha!! (Part 1)
- The Old Man Blog No.093 Already the beginning of summer?!! But while I was silent, the new release of the F-4S got closer!!
- The Old Man Blog No.092 Happy New Year 2017!
- The Old Man Blog No.091 Greetings for the end of 2016
- The Old Man Blog No.090 Thanks for the instant sell-out!
- The Old Man Blog No.089 SWS F-4J finally ready for its pre-release at the IPMS Telford!!
- The Old Man Blog No.088 The Giant of the Jet-fighters F-4: the Answer from Zoukei-mura - Part 4
- The Old Man Blog No.087 The Giant of the Jet-fighters F-4: the Answer from Zoukei-mura - Part 3
- The Old Man Blog No.086 The Giant of the Jet-fighters F-4: the Answer from Zoukei-mura - Part 2
- The Old Man Blog No.085 The Giant of the Jet-fighters F-4: the Answer from Zoukei-mura - Part 1
- The Old Man Blog No.084 We went to the IPMS Columbia!!
- The Old Man Blog No.083 Hey! Just like I said!! With the SWS kit, you can understand this far the Do 335's secrets!
- The Old Man Blog No.082 SWS Do 335 Thank you for all the reservations we received from all over the world!!
- The Old Man Blog No.081 So, let's build the Do 335!! Last Episode.
- The Old Man Blog No.080 So, let's build the Do 335!! Episode No.5: "this time let me introduce you the work on the main wings!!"
- The Old Man Blog No.079 So, let's build the Do 335!! Episode No.4: "this time I introduce you the work on the main wings!!"
- The Old Man Blog No.078 So, let's build the Do 335!! Episode No.3: "the cockpit is awesome too".
- The Old Man Blog No.077 So, let's build the Do 335!! Episode No.2: "how to build the DB 603 engine".
- The Old Man Blog No.076 So, let's build the Do 335!!
- The Old Man Blog No.075 The soul of a reciprocating engine is finally here!!
- The Old Man Blog No.074 IPMS Telford 2015 Event Report: Episode 3
- The Old Man Blog No.073 IPMS Telford 2015 Event Report: Episode 2
- The Old Man Blog No.072 IPMS Telford 2015 Event Report: Episode 1
- The Old Man Blog No.071 The Old Man's meddling!!
- The Old Man Blog No.070 Here we go!! IPMS Telford 2015 is about to start!!!
- The Old Man Blog No.069 We went to the IPMS Nationals in Ohio!!!
- The Old Man Blog No.068 Come, SWS brothers!
- The Old Man Blog No.067 What is the rear taste of building a kit?
- The Old Man Blog No.066 One of the plastic model kits' tastes (the current taste)
- The Old Man Blog No.065 Spring time! Hobby season has come!!
- The Old Man Blog No.064 Thank you for the pictures of your finished SWS kits!
- The Old Man Blog No.063 Presentation of the finished SWS Horten kit!! 2nd Part!!
- The Old Man Blog No.062 Presentation of the finished SWS Horten kit!!
- The Old Man Blog No.061 The indispensable tools of the Old Man!
- The Old Man Blog No.060 Urgent Notice for all of you who purchased our SWS 1/32 Horten kit!
- The Old Man Blog No.059 IPMS Telford 2014 Event Report: Episode 1
- The Old Man Blog No.058 SWS Horten finally spreads its wing and flies in to the big sky!
- The Old Man Blog No.057 IPMS Virginia 2014 Event Report: Episode 4
- The Old Man Blog No.056 IPMS Virginia 2014 Event Report: Episode 3
- The Old Man Blog No.055 IPMS Virginia 2014 Event Report: Episode 2
- The Old Man Blog No.054 IPMS Virginia 2014 Event Report: Episode 1
- The Old Man Blog No.053 Zoukei-Mura finally headed to IPMS Virginia!
- The Old Man Blog No.052 Development status for SWS HORTEN Kit Part2
- The Old Man Blog No.051 Development status for SWS HORTEN Kit Part1
- The Old Man Blog No.050 Want to see more of HORTEN!!
- The Old Man Blog No.049 The first test shot of SWS Ho 229 is finally getting here!!
- The Old Man Blog No.048 Welcome to JOINT FESTIVAL of our company that will celebrate the 40th Anniversary of Volks Inc!!
- The Old Man Blog No.047 IPMS Telford 2013 Event Report
- The Old Man Blog No.046 IPMS Colorado 2013 Event Report 3
- The Old Man Blog No.045 IPMS Colorado 2013 Event Report 2
- The Old Man Blog No.044 IPMS Colorado 2013 Event Report 1
- The Old Man Blog No.043 The so long-awaited Japanese aircraft episode is starting
- The Old Man Blog No.042 Finally, the long-awaited SWS kit, "He 219 Uhu," has started shipping, in order by reservation!
- The Old Man Blog No.041 The final production prototype for SWS No. 6 Uhu is done
- The Old Man Blog No.040 Cockpit Assembly
- The Old Man Blog No.039 We went this year, as well!! The Nurnberg Toy Fair in Germany!!
- The Old Man Blog No.038 For all of our SWS fans and Uhu fans, I have an apology and an announcement!
- The Old Man Blog No.037 IPMS Telford 2012 Event Report: Part3
- The Old Man Blog No.036 IPMS Telford 2012 Event Report: Part2
- The Old Man Blog No.035 IPMS Telford 2012 Event Report: Part1
- The Old Man Blog No.034 The Opening Day of IPMS Telford is Finally Getting Closer!!
- The Old Man Blog No.033 Event Report from IPMS Florida 2012, Final Part
- The Old Man Blog No.032 Event Report from IPMS Florida 2012, Part2
- The Old Man Blog No.031 Event Report from IPMS Florida 2012, Part1
- The Old Man Blog No.030 Delivering Your Hopes along with My Dreams
- The Old Man Blog No.029 Finally, the SWS Mustang will Take Flight!!!
- The Old Man Blog No.028 The Pre-Order Deadline for the P-51D Mustang is Coming Soon!
- The Old Man Blog No.027 SWS Mustang! Long-Awaited Pre-Order Period Finally Started!!
- The Old Man Blog No.026 Delivering the SWS Mustang to All of You Around the World!!
- The Old Man Blog No.025 I Want to Make the Most Beautiful Mustang through the SWS!!
- The Old Man Blog No.024 Event Report from IPMS in Telford, UK #4
- The Old Man Blog No.023 Event Report from IPMS in Telford, UK #3
- The Old Man Blog No.022 Event Report from IPMS in Telford, UK #2
- The Old Man Blog No.021 Event Report from IPMS in Telford, UK #1
- The Old Man Blog No.020 Is Your SKYRAIDER Already Home?!
- The Old Man Blog No.019 Thank You for Waiting!! Your SKYRAIDER is Finally Coming Home!!
- The Old Man Blog No.018 Took a Trip!! To IPMS "Omaha By The Sea"!!! Part 3
- The Old Man Blog No.017 Took a Trip!! To IPMS "Omaha By The Sea"!!! Part 2
- The Old Man Blog No.016 Took a Trip!! To IPMS "Omaha By The Sea"!!! Part 1
- The Old Man Blog No.015 Package design has reached its final stage!!
- The Old Man Blog No.014 The 'R3350 Engine' and the 'Cockpit' are complete!!
- The Old Man Blog No.013 Japan and the Japanese will recover, once again!!
- The Old Man Blog No.012 SKYRAIDER Test Model 1 Debut, Part 2!!
- The Old Man Blog No.011 The SWS SKYRAIDER will fly over the sky of Nurnberg!
- The Old Man Blog No.010 Is Your Ta 152 Being Brought Up Happily!!??
- The Old Man Blog No.009 The time that Ta 152 fans worldwide have been waiting and waiting for has finally arrived.
- The Old Man Blog No.008 Finally, it's just before the release of the Ta 152!! At last it goes to you!!
- The Old Man Blog No.007 Scale Model Reproduction Must Start with Your Gut Feeling! Is What I've Really Come to Believe.
- The Old Man Blog No.006 Ta 152 Means Wings!!
- The Old Man Blog No.005 Forgive Me, Brothers-in-Arms! At This Point, Just Let Me Announce It~!!!
- The Old Man Blog No.004 Also,The Engine Known As Jumo 213E Is Amazing!!
- The Old Man Blog No.003 This Ta 152 H-1 is Amazing!!
- The Old Man Blog No.002 Using plastic, that magicalmaterial,I wont to create a real airplane!
- The Old Man Blog No.001 Passion for the Product Launch Process