The soul of a reciprocating engine is finally here!!
It has been a while, dear SWS brothers!!
Are you doing alright?
Here is a new entry of the Old Man Blog without too much drama.
As the "prior taste" of the scale model kit, or as a preview of your SWS Do 335 challenge, this time I will focus on the SWS 1/32 Do 335 that is now in its final stage of development.
For a brief moment, please enjoy this marvelous world that only scale modelers can understand, imagine or accept.
▋Hey this is the real one! THE REAL THING!!
All of a sudden!
Somehow, the propeller and the spinner of the real Fw 190 arrived here to VOLKS/Zoukei-mura headquarter!!!
Yes it is.
Actually, these parts were handed over to me by a friend, a collector who lives in Europe.
You know me.
The moment I heard about this, I was like "give it to me!" and bought the parts in two emails!
(It will make my boss, I mean my wife, very happy too…or not!)
Well, I was in high spirits and bought the parts, but now that they will be brought here….!
Oh goodness, that propeller I got used to see thanks to photo recording is completely different in real!
It's so huge and incredibly heavy, doesn't it?
Even if 5 adults moved it, that was a pain.
(Me? You know my back hurts so I just gave a voice contribution.)
Anyway, including the propeller hub, all of this is from the real thing.
And it's the propeller of the real Luftwaffe Fw 190 you guys well know! Damn heavy.
This is of course something that we rarely see here in Japan, so everyone in Zoukei-mura was very interested! Half-convinced uproar!
It's time to spare from work: everybody gathers at the display room!
See all of their happy, happy, happy faces!
Until now, a propeller was something we could only observe from afar.
And now it's here. Boom in front of our eyes! That's a kind of astonishment.
Even if I said them "don't touch it", everybody is touching, caressing or hitting with closed fists!
- "Ooooh this thing spins round and round and make the plane fly. Incredible!"
- "Be careful. That's a very dangerous thing!"
- "So cool anyway! That Focke-Wulf actually flew with this. It's maybe the secret of its high performance."
- "Must be hard for the engine too."
- "I want one at home."
And other buzzes.
Here were the reactions of the whole Zoukei-mura SWS Development team, shocked by the propeller they could look at closely.
This important masterpiece is proudly exposed every day at VOLKS Headquarter in Kyoto, in the exposure space at the entrance. Everybody come and see it, please.
I guarantee that this molding beauty and its presence have a strong impact, boost up our motivation to work on model kits, and become also a material of our work. Each time I touch or look at the "propeller's edges" I am fuddled with their delightness.
Furthermore, on the left side of the picture you can see the propeller of the Bf 109, the most special among the special machines of the Luftwaffe. How is it? It's a hit even for those who are used to it.
This is actually a replica casted from the real machine, but it looks identical to the real one, so its impressiveness is actually unaltered.
You will never get tired of looking at the beautiful roundness of the Bf 109 spinner.
The entrance of VOLKS Headquarter, where you can admire two propellers showing a crunch of the Luftwaffe aircrafts, is now a must-see place for modelers who are into WWII aircrafts.
Hey, there's one more!!
Here in the middle of the picture. What's that black round object on the left of my face?
Can't you see it?
The black one, popping out from the propeller, you saw it right?
Obviously. This is the rear wheel of the infamous Messerschmitt Bf 109.
"Are you kidding me?" is what you think? No, it's true. That is the very real one.
This baby is also very small and light but still, it's the rear wheel of the Messerschmitt.
Despite being the rear wheel there was a white ribbon inside and that's kind of elegant for a military use.
It's not over yet!!
Aren't you asking yourself what that cute, round object that Mr. T is happily holding on my right?
Believe it or not, this is the tire wheel of the main wheel of the Mitsubishi A6M "Zero"32!
Whaaat! Seriously! That thing? Unconsciously, this small and light wheel makes you see the difference between the two fighting nations' power, which filled me with deep emotions.
You cannot see it in this picture but besides these two, just behind the Zoukei-mura boys, there is also a propeller from the British Spitfire, so be careful!
Moreover that propeller is made with hard wood and has a thick paint leant on.
Later, when time will come to talk about the Spitfire, I will show it to you.
These real components collection is made by masterpieces that I receive from a person I met in 2013, during the IPMS USA held in Colorado.
Except these, there is also the radial engine of the real P&H and the Rolls-Royce Merlin originally equipped on the real P-51D exposed at the same place, but you cannot see them with this picture.
Now you know that some of the secrets of our SWS kits' development are in this place.
Of course you can enter this place and watch for free, so please come and visit us.
- VOLKS (Zoukei-mura) Kyoto Headquarter & Hobby Square Kyoto (Ground and 1st floor)
- 60 Goshonouchi Nakamachi, Shichi-jo, Shimogyo-ku, Kyoto, Japan 600-8862
- ▋Hobby Square Kyoto
- TEL: 075-325-1175
- Opening hours 11：00～20：00 (open every day)
- Parking available: 6 places on ground level, 14 places underground
▋Coming next! To be yours soon!!
The awaited instruction manual of the 1/32 Do 335 has finally entered its final stage!
Needless to say we will never make an SWS kit without putting the due attention to the instruction book.
The reason is that these instruction manuals that analyze in every aspect the soul of SWS are one of the selling points of this series.
The spirit is different! The spirit!!
To respond to your high expectations with the best kit ever, the assembly instruction manual of this Do 335 will be done as always: with an amazing degree of completeness, as you can see here.
(You may enjoy an entire week just with this, seriously.)
▋We have come this far!! Look at the precision of the details and the completeness of the cockpit!
Thanks to the full cooperation of the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum, we have reproduced all the information possible with this 1/32 kit. Flight control system, weaponry, ammunition equipement, emergency ejection system, and the fuel tank equipment. So you can experience how building the real aircraft would be like.
▋Of course! The engine has been reproduced until its pistons and conn-rods!
Fit left and right parts and have your engine precisely built.
Going this far is the trademark of the SWS kits!!
"Awww!! I would like to just have this DB 603 engine itself"
That's it! I really want that too!!
Such a complete contents and their related work, that only an SWS kit can offer, will fascinate your modeler's soul.
The scale models have already gone so far.
(The engine doesn't start. Just to make sure.)
▋From the fuselage to the main wings, until the attachment of the equipment.
I don't know who said that but…
"Is it hard to work on an SWS kit?" The answer is no. If you take your time, do a provisory assembly, understand the structure of every part and section, and start cementing with the necessary attention after making sure again and again, well, it will not be hard at all.
A 68 years old guy like me can do it, so I guess you have nothing to worry about.
However, if you do not do any provisory assembly, do not check anything and just proceed building your own way…
Well, maybe it was fine with a kit of the previous generation, but that would be a death blow with an SWS kit. Please enjoy the provisory assembly and make sure you understand everything.
Then, if you can enjoy the work itself, cementing with utmost attention, it will be an easy victory.
▋Regarding the work on the landing gears, checking each single part one after another and waiting for each single cemented part to dry up are the basics of the work. The secret here is "no rush, no panic".
If you have reached this point, you can feel relieved. I know you want to rush and get to the final stage as soon as you can but please be patient for a while. I say this, so please believe me.
The work with the landing gears is really important. Take your time without any hurry.
As you know, the SWS Do 335 model is a big model. And the landing mechanism is based on these three landing gears, which must absolutely support such a big volume plane.
So, making sure each part's angle and their assembly strength is more important than anything else. I may sound boring but I will say this again and again.
Please do the work with precision, without rushing.
A few days later you will be required the utmost care to make sure the cement has dried up and solidly, in order to have no slips in the attachment angulation.
You know "the more haste, the less speed". That is the attitude I mean.
▋The kit you see in these pictures is a marvelous sample made by the famous Mr. "Naoki Kobayashi", for the Do 335 Concept Note.
As always, this kit sample will be used in the Instruction Manual, the package, and featured in many advertisement you will find in the magazines to fascinate you, SWS fans.
I have told you this in advance.
▋And… it's finally complete!
It's a kit in 1/32 scale, but if it's from Zoukei-mura it's pretty easy to build isn't it? Enjoy it!
Then it's up to you to challenge this aircraft you don't know yet.
Now it's time to make one step forward!!
Or maybe you don't know the SWS kits yet.
Maybe you have heard about it but have not built one SWS kit yet.
Why did you trust these rumors about the complexity of the SWS kits' assembly?
I already like you, who swear only by the SWS kits.
I would like to give a heartfelt hug to whom think that "now it's time to challenge the SWS kits".
This time, this scale model kit is the one asking you to finish it by your hands.
I, as Zoukei-mura's old man, as a modest scale modeler, and as your SWS brother, have full confidence and recommend you this one from the bottom of my heart
How do you do if the world ends tomorrow while you have still never bought an SWS kit? Beware beware!
Like me, collect all the SWS kits: one to enjoy the assembly, one more to enjoy the painting, and one more just to enjoy its existence and the possible price increase it will have one day.
I am saying you that buying three kits is good for the sake of your heart.
If you have any doubt, buy it.
Cause there is an indispensable lesson of life in the SWS kits.
▋And now, the 1/32 Do 335 release date that you're waiting for!!!
The kit is scheduled for this May 2016!!
Your dream, my dream will come true very soon!!!
Are you ready for this!??
Kit to be delivered according to the reservation order.
Hurry up and reserve it at the closest VOLKS Stores.
It will be also available by our Friend Shops, in Japan and overseas. Reserve your kit.
* Pre-order period will be announced in each store and on each Website.
At the end of World War II, in a hopeless situation, this incredible aircraft was about to be sent in as the last trump card of the Luftwaffe.
Two engines installed, back and forth. Amazing high performance that unfits with this curious silhouette.
"And if…" someone put light expectations on it but…
Seventy years have passed since that day.
Finally this aircraft with its uncommon shape comes back to life as the 10th entry of the SWS series.
I recommend you strongly, I mean absolutely, to give a try to this aircraft as an important piece of your collection, as a must-be in the military aircraft history, as an innovative, special machine.
See you next time on this blog.
Next time I will show you some runners of the Do 335 and a part of the assembly.
↓ Please don't hesitate to use the submission form below ↓
Archives: The Old Man Blog
- The Old Man Blog No.134Enjoy the best part of SWS kit with the instruction manual. Imperial Japanese Navy fighter aircraft SHINDEN: Episode 2
- The Old Man Blog No.133Enjoy the best part of SWS kit with the instruction manual. Imperial Japanese Navy fighter aircraft SHINDEN: Episode 1
- The Old Man Blog No.132Enjoy the best part of SWS kit with the instruction manual. Focke-Wulf Fw 190 A-4 Siegfried Schnell: Last Episode (Final Outfitting)
- The Old Man Blog No.131Enjoy the best part of SWS kit with the instruction manual. Focke-Wulf Fw 190 A-4 Siegfried Schnell: Episode 4 (Assembling main wings and fuselage, engine mounting and main landing gear)
- The Old Man Blog No.130Enjoy the best part of SWS kit with the instruction manual. Focke-Wulf Fw 190 A-4 Siegfried Schnell: Episode 3 (Fuselage Assembly)
- The Old Man Blog No.129Enjoy the best part of SWS kit with the instruction manual. Focke-Wulf Fw 190 A-4 Siegfried Schnell: Episode 2 (Cockpit)
- The Old Man Blog No.128Enjoy the best part of SWS kit with the instruction manual. Focke-Wulf Fw 190 A-4 Siegfried Schnell: Episode 1 (Engine)
- The Old Man Blog No.127For the first time in three years! Zoukei-Mura participated in IPMS Texas San Marcos in the U.S.!
- The Old Man Blog No.126Enjoy the best part of SWS kit with the instruction manual Part 3: HEINKEL He 219 A-0 Uhu Last Part
- The Old Man Blog No.125Enjoy the best part of SWS kit with the instruction manual Part 3: HEINKEL He 219 A-0 Uhu 2nd
- The Old Man Blog No.124Enjoy the best part of SWS kit with the instruction manual Part 3: HEINKEL He 219 A-0 Uhu
- The Old Man Blog No.123Enjoy the best part of SWS kit with the instruction manual Part 2: Lats Part
- The Old Man Blog No.122Enjoy the best part of SWS kit with the instruction manual Part 2: 2nd
- The Old Man Blog No.121Enjoy the best part of SWS kit with the instruction manual Part 2
- The Old Man Blog No.120The instruction manual for the SWS 1/32 "Bf 109 G-14/U14" is completed!! Part 5
- The Old Man Blog No.119The instruction manual for the SWS 1/32 "Bf 109 G-14/U14" is completed!! Part 4
- The Old Man Blog No.118The instruction manual for the SWS 1/32 "Bf 109 G-14/U14" is completed!! Part 3
- The Old Man Blog No.117The instruction manual for the SWS 1/32 "Bf 109 G-14/U14" is completed!! Part 2
- The Old Man Blog No.116The instruction manual (Japanese version) for the SWS 1/32 "Bf 109 G-14/U14" is completed!! Part 1
- The Old Man Blog No.115Thank you very much for the pre-orders from all over the world!!!
- The Old Man Blog No.114With Engines Roaring!!
- The Old Man Blog No.113Celebrating the 10th Anniversary of SWS!! Thank you for supporting our 35 releases!!
- The Old Man Blog No.112I Hope You’re Doing Well, My SWS Brothers!!!
- The Old Man Blog No.111Your Pre-Ordered Limited-Edition F-4EJ Kai "Phantom Forever 2020" Kit is Coming to You Soon!!
- The Old Man Blog No.110SWS F-4EJ Kai "Phantom Forever 2020" is SOLD OUT via Pre-Order!!! Thank you for all of your pre-orders!!
- The Old Man Blog No.1091/48 F-4EJ Kai Celebrating 10 Years of SWS Thank you all for your early pre-orders!!
- The Old Man Blog No.10810th Anniversary of SWS Kits: The First Commemorative Kit Revealed!!
- The Old Man Blog No.107What's up, SWS fans?!?
- The Old Man Blog No.106We Went to SMC in Telford!!
- The Old Man Blog No.105Let’s Meet at SMW in Telford!!
- The Old Man Blog No.104We’re back from IPMS Nationals in Chattanooga!!!
- The Old Man Blog No.103A Big Hello to All of My SWS Brothers!!
- The Old Man Blog No.102Welcome to the Zoukei-Mura Booth at IPMS Telford! Thank you for purchasing the 1/32 Toryu!!
- The Old Man Blog No.101We went to IPMS Phoenix!! Plus an Exciting Quiz: Guess the Next SWS Airplane!!
- The Old Man Blog No.100Have you got F-4J Marines?
- The Old Man Blog No.099The long-awaited F-4 D, finally available from February 17th (Sat)!!
- The Old Man Blog No.098SWS Brothers from UK & Europe!! Thank you very much!!
- The Old Man Blog No.097The autumn show of hobby world is about to begin!!
- The Old Man Blog No.096We've been here!! Wings Over the Rockies Air & Space Museum!!!
- The Old Man Blog No.095 We went to IPMS Nationals in Omaha!! (Part 2)
- The Old Man Blog No.094 We went to IPMS Nationals in Omaha!! (Part 1)
- The Old Man Blog No.093 Already the beginning of summer?!! But while I was silent, the new release of the F-4S got closer!!
- The Old Man Blog No.092 Happy New Year 2017!
- The Old Man Blog No.091 Greetings for the end of 2016
- The Old Man Blog No.090 Thanks for the instant sell-out!
- The Old Man Blog No.089 SWS F-4J finally ready for its pre-release at the IPMS Telford!!
- The Old Man Blog No.088 The Giant of the Jet-fighters F-4: the Answer from Zoukei-mura - Part 4
- The Old Man Blog No.087 The Giant of the Jet-fighters F-4: the Answer from Zoukei-mura - Part 3
- The Old Man Blog No.086 The Giant of the Jet-fighters F-4: the Answer from Zoukei-mura - Part 2
- The Old Man Blog No.085 The Giant of the Jet-fighters F-4: the Answer from Zoukei-mura - Part 1
- The Old Man Blog No.084 We went to the IPMS Columbia!!
- The Old Man Blog No.083 Hey! Just like I said!! With the SWS kit, you can understand this far the Do 335's secrets!
- The Old Man Blog No.082 SWS Do 335 Thank you for all the reservations we received from all over the world!!
- The Old Man Blog No.081 So, let's build the Do 335!! Last Episode.
- The Old Man Blog No.080 So, let's build the Do 335!! Episode No.5: "this time let me introduce you the work on the main wings!!"
- The Old Man Blog No.079 So, let's build the Do 335!! Episode No.4: "this time I introduce you the work on the main wings!!"
- The Old Man Blog No.078 So, let's build the Do 335!! Episode No.3: "the cockpit is awesome too".
- The Old Man Blog No.077 So, let's build the Do 335!! Episode No.2: "how to build the DB 603 engine".
- The Old Man Blog No.076 So, let's build the Do 335!!
- The Old Man Blog No.075 The soul of a reciprocating engine is finally here!!
- The Old Man Blog No.074 IPMS Telford 2015 Event Report: Episode 3
- The Old Man Blog No.073 IPMS Telford 2015 Event Report: Episode 2
- The Old Man Blog No.072 IPMS Telford 2015 Event Report: Episode 1
- The Old Man Blog No.071 The Old Man's meddling!!
- The Old Man Blog No.070 Here we go!! IPMS Telford 2015 is about to start!!!
- The Old Man Blog No.069 We went to the IPMS Nationals in Ohio!!!
- The Old Man Blog No.068 Come, SWS brothers!
- The Old Man Blog No.067 What is the rear taste of building a kit?
- The Old Man Blog No.066 One of the plastic model kits' tastes (the current taste)
- The Old Man Blog No.065 Spring time! Hobby season has come!!
- The Old Man Blog No.064 Thank you for the pictures of your finished SWS kits!
- The Old Man Blog No.063 Presentation of the finished SWS Horten kit!! 2nd Part!!
- The Old Man Blog No.062 Presentation of the finished SWS Horten kit!!
- The Old Man Blog No.061 The indispensable tools of the Old Man!
- The Old Man Blog No.060 Urgent Notice for all of you who purchased our SWS 1/32 Horten kit!
- The Old Man Blog No.059 IPMS Telford 2014 Event Report: Episode 1
- The Old Man Blog No.058 SWS Horten finally spreads its wing and flies in to the big sky!
- The Old Man Blog No.057 IPMS Virginia 2014 Event Report: Episode 4
- The Old Man Blog No.056 IPMS Virginia 2014 Event Report: Episode 3
- The Old Man Blog No.055 IPMS Virginia 2014 Event Report: Episode 2
- The Old Man Blog No.054 IPMS Virginia 2014 Event Report: Episode 1
- The Old Man Blog No.053 Zoukei-Mura finally headed to IPMS Virginia!
- The Old Man Blog No.052 Development status for SWS HORTEN Kit Part2
- The Old Man Blog No.051 Development status for SWS HORTEN Kit Part1
- The Old Man Blog No.050 Want to see more of HORTEN!!
- The Old Man Blog No.049 The first test shot of SWS Ho 229 is finally getting here!!
- The Old Man Blog No.048 Welcome to JOINT FESTIVAL of our company that will celebrate the 40th Anniversary of Volks Inc!!
- The Old Man Blog No.047 IPMS Telford 2013 Event Report
- The Old Man Blog No.046 IPMS Colorado 2013 Event Report 3
- The Old Man Blog No.045 IPMS Colorado 2013 Event Report 2
- The Old Man Blog No.044 IPMS Colorado 2013 Event Report 1
- The Old Man Blog No.043 The so long-awaited Japanese aircraft episode is starting
- The Old Man Blog No.042 Finally, the long-awaited SWS kit, "He 219 Uhu," has started shipping, in order by reservation!
- The Old Man Blog No.041 The final production prototype for SWS No. 6 Uhu is done
- The Old Man Blog No.040 Cockpit Assembly
- The Old Man Blog No.039 We went this year, as well!! The Nurnberg Toy Fair in Germany!!
- The Old Man Blog No.038 For all of our SWS fans and Uhu fans, I have an apology and an announcement!
- The Old Man Blog No.037 IPMS Telford 2012 Event Report: Part3
- The Old Man Blog No.036 IPMS Telford 2012 Event Report: Part2
- The Old Man Blog No.035 IPMS Telford 2012 Event Report: Part1
- The Old Man Blog No.034 The Opening Day of IPMS Telford is Finally Getting Closer!!
- The Old Man Blog No.033 Event Report from IPMS Florida 2012, Final Part
- The Old Man Blog No.032 Event Report from IPMS Florida 2012, Part2
- The Old Man Blog No.031 Event Report from IPMS Florida 2012, Part1
- The Old Man Blog No.030 Delivering Your Hopes along with My Dreams
- The Old Man Blog No.029 Finally, the SWS Mustang will Take Flight!!!
- The Old Man Blog No.028 The Pre-Order Deadline for the P-51D Mustang is Coming Soon!
- The Old Man Blog No.027 SWS Mustang! Long-Awaited Pre-Order Period Finally Started!!
- The Old Man Blog No.026 Delivering the SWS Mustang to All of You Around the World!!
- The Old Man Blog No.025 I Want to Make the Most Beautiful Mustang through the SWS!!
- The Old Man Blog No.024 Event Report from IPMS in Telford, UK #4
- The Old Man Blog No.023 Event Report from IPMS in Telford, UK #3
- The Old Man Blog No.022 Event Report from IPMS in Telford, UK #2
- The Old Man Blog No.021 Event Report from IPMS in Telford, UK #1
- The Old Man Blog No.020 Is Your SKYRAIDER Already Home?!
- The Old Man Blog No.019 Thank You for Waiting!! Your SKYRAIDER is Finally Coming Home!!
- The Old Man Blog No.018 Took a Trip!! To IPMS "Omaha By The Sea"!!! Part 3
- The Old Man Blog No.017 Took a Trip!! To IPMS "Omaha By The Sea"!!! Part 2
- The Old Man Blog No.016 Took a Trip!! To IPMS "Omaha By The Sea"!!! Part 1
- The Old Man Blog No.015 Package design has reached its final stage!!
- The Old Man Blog No.014 The 'R3350 Engine' and the 'Cockpit' are complete!!
- The Old Man Blog No.013 Japan and the Japanese will recover, once again!!
- The Old Man Blog No.012 SKYRAIDER Test Model 1 Debut, Part 2!!
- The Old Man Blog No.011 The SWS SKYRAIDER will fly over the sky of Nurnberg!
- The Old Man Blog No.010 Is Your Ta 152 Being Brought Up Happily!!??
- The Old Man Blog No.009 The time that Ta 152 fans worldwide have been waiting and waiting for has finally arrived.
- The Old Man Blog No.008 Finally, it's just before the release of the Ta 152!! At last it goes to you!!
- The Old Man Blog No.007 Scale Model Reproduction Must Start with Your Gut Feeling! Is What I've Really Come to Believe.
- The Old Man Blog No.006 Ta 152 Means Wings!!
- The Old Man Blog No.005 Forgive Me, Brothers-in-Arms! At This Point, Just Let Me Announce It~!!!
- The Old Man Blog No.004 Also,The Engine Known As Jumo 213E Is Amazing!!
- The Old Man Blog No.003 This Ta 152 H-1 is Amazing!!
- The Old Man Blog No.002 Using plastic, that magicalmaterial,I wont to create a real airplane!
- The Old Man Blog No.001 Passion for the Product Launch Process